Name of our new French Lab member: Hugo PAYAN
A very warm welcome to you!
- Could you tell us a bit about what brought you to Singapore and/or what you do in Singapore?
Before coming to Singapore, I obtained a Ph.D. in neurobiology from the University of Montpellier in France. Then, I wanted to pursue my training with a post-doctoral experience abroad. I quickly visited Singapore during one of my previous trips and I really enjoyed the country. I applied for a position at Duke-NUS in a team that met my research interests and I joined a lab here as a research fellow.
- In a few words, describe your main scientific/research interests?
My main research interest is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying neurological diseases. Particularly, I try to understand the mechanisms of protein-protein interactions in dendritic spines during synaptic plasticity and how they are disrupted in neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia.
- Could you share a few examples of what are or could be the application(s) of your professional activities (whether in the research, innovation or industrial field)?
Although my research is fundamental, the better understanding of such biological mechanisms in a pathological context could lead to the discovery of new therapeutic targets to treat neurological disorders. Numerous neurological diseases such as Parkinson, Alzheimer or schizophrenia affect a significant amount of the world’s population. These diseases are devastating for our societies and the treatment and care of the patients are associated with large economic, societal and family costs.
- Are you currently collaborating with French and/or Singaporean institutes?
I am not collaborating with any French or Singaporean labs for the moment as I arrived here very recently. Nevertheless, I am trying to initiate a collaboration with a French team for one of my projects.
- How did you first hear or come across the French Lab?
I randomly found the French Lab website while doing some search on Google.
- What do you hope to find in joining the French Lab Singapore network?
I would like to be in contact with the French scientific community in Singapore. Particularly, with these unprecedented times we are facing, it is impossible to attend scientific events in person. I hope that this network will allow us to be in relation each other.
- What activities would best meet your expectations?
I expect to attend congress, seminars or any social event that would encourage discussion and cooperation around research and science.